Build Change in partnership with United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is seeking qualified and interested candidates who are enrolled in an Architecture program at a Nepali University for our 2018 Internship Intake.
Our Internship placement for 2018 has been designed in such a way that the intern will get maximum exposure to a variety of different architectural practices that both Build Change and UNOPS are involved with. From working on the new construction of police stations, to retrofitting of rural houses in hills of the earthquake affected districts, the placement will be interesting, varied, and stimulating to students of architecture who are looking to gain some practical experience in different locations in Nepal.
The primary responsibility of this position will be to perform work on all phases of various architectural projects including design development, preparation of presentation drawings and specifications, design review, coordination and correlation of construction drawings.
There will also be opportunities to travel to the field to observe ongoing construction work, this will be subject to the operational requirements of the organization that the intern will be placed with.
This position will be full time (40 hours per week) and require the intern to commit to a minimum of 90 days.
- Prepares and modifies architectural plans, elevations, sections, details, etc. as directed
- Develop solutions to technical and design problems following established standards.
- Prepares 2D and 3D presentation/design drawings.
- Develop a thorough understanding of the existing structural engineering design resources, and of those developed by both Build Change and UNOPS, for use in Nepal.
- With staff, aid in the application of these resources to provide technical assistance to homeowners to design safe houses, supervise construction, and train builders in disaster-resistant construction practices.
- Check design documents, drawings, bills of quantity, and construction inspection checklists.
- Assist in solving problems and generating solutions in the field for special cases.
- Assist with the development of technical resources as required.
- Any other projects as required.
Skills and Key Competencies
- Basic knowledge in AutoCAD/Architectural Desktop.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Basic knowledge in Revit is a plus
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing in English is a plus
- Ability to work in team environment.
- No ego, drama, or pessimism; the successful candidate will be flexible, humble, patient, and have a good sense of humor.
- Currently enrolled in an architecture or related degree program in Nepal.
Advantages in Participation
- Work with the leading experts in reconstruction programmes in Nepal
- Application of classroom training to real world challenges.
- Get practical experience of working in International Development.
- Opportunity to work with and learn from top-rated industry professionals.
- Gain a competitive edge towards full-time employment upon graduation.
- Challenging and stimulating work assignments.
- Monthly stipend towards transport and food
- Supportive working environment where learning is encouraged.