WORK FOR AN AWARD-WINNING NON-PROFIT SOCIAL ENTERPRISE
POSITION: Staff Architect
Industry: Non-profit/International Development
Founded in 2004, Build Change is a non‐profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes. Build Change designs disaster-resistant houses and schools, trains homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them, works with governments to develop and implement building standards, partners with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs, and facilitates access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs. Build Change started its work in Aceh, Indonesia after the 2004 earthquake and tsunami and has since expanded to include programs in China, Haiti, Colombia, Guatemala, Nepal, and the Philippines. Build Change has trained more than 39,389 people on earthquake-resistant design and construction techniques, created more than 16,768 jobs and provided technical assistance for more than 58,328 safer buildings, impacting an estimated 304,440 people.
For the position of Staff Architect, Build Change is seeking a competent engineer for its projects in Nepal with experience in community building construction projects. This position reports to the Project Manager.
- Assist in developing technical manuals, guidelines and other technical documents in close coordination with the Lead Structural Engineer.
- Assist in solving problems and generating solutions in the field for special cases.
- Assist in the revision or development of new structural and architectural drawings, bills of quantities, construction checklists and training materials as necessary.
- Work with homeowners, builders and partners to assist them in design and construction supervision of earthquake-resistant housing reconstruction and retrofit.
- Assist in controlling quality of information and implementation for projects in Nepal.
- Assist in trainings for engineers, architects, drafters and other technical staff including development of training materials and presentations.
- Communicate and report to the management about the progress/issues of projects implemented by Build Change.
- Prepare field reports and assist in other reporting as requested.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Architecture with minimum 2 years professional experience in design and construction of buildings. Work experience in community led building projects will be an advantage.
- Knowledge of AutoCad, Sketchup Revit and/or other drafting software is a must.
- No ego, drama, or pessimism; the successful candidate will be flexible, humble, patient, and have a good sense of humor.
- Fluent English and Nepali.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed daily and suitable candidates may be invited for test and interview prior to the closing date. Only short-listed candidates will be invited for written test and/or interview.