Lead Engineer - Indonesia
|Title:||Lead Engineer - Indonesia|
WORK FOR AN AWARD-WINNING NON-PROFIT SOCIAL ENTERPRISE IN INDONESIA.
POSITION OPENING: Lead Engineer--Indonesia
Industry: Non-profit/International Development
Function: Design, Management and Oversight of Technical Staff
Employer: Build Change
Job Title: Lead Engineer
Job Location: Takengon, Central Aceh, Indonesia
Start Date: Immediate
Term: 12 months with possibility of extension
Salary: Competitive, with medical insurance benefits and housing in Indonesia
Build Change (www.buildchange.org) is an international non-profit social enterprise that designs earthquake-resistant houses in developing countries and trains builders, homeowners, engineers and government officials to build them. Build Change’s designs are affordable, culturally appropriate, and use materials and techniques that will continue to be used after our intervention is finished. Build Change has ongoing post-earthquake housing reconstruction programs in West Sumatra, Indonesia and Sichuan, China. So far, Build Change has improved the design and/or construction of over 20,000 houses worldwide.
Build Change has been operating since 2004 in Indonesia, where its team of Indonesian technical professionals has trained over 500 builders in safe construction techniques and contributed to the construction of more than 16,000 safer homes. Build Change has also partnered with the Indonesian government and the NGO community to develop earthquake-resistant design and construction guidelines and simple messages about safe construction. Now, Build Change is expanding in Indonesia to provide hands-on technical assistance to homeowners and on-the-job training for builders during reconstruction following the July earthquake in Central Aceh. As part of this effort, Build Change is training our own technical staff and that of other organizations to improve damaged but salvageable buildings through seismic retrofit evaluation, design, and construction supervision. This program was begun by Build Change Haiti in 2011, piloted and implemented successfully, and now is ready for introduction in other parts of the world. Build Change also provides training, engineering design, and construction supervision services to other relief agencies.
Build Change is a US-based 501(c)(3) non-profit in operation since 2004. Build Change has won grants from Echoing Green, Draper Richards Foundation, Mulago Foundation and Ashoka-Lemelson. and was named a 2008 Laureate in the Equality Category for Technology Benefiting Humanity by the San Jose Tech Museum of Innovation Tech Awards. Build Change’s work has been featured on abcNEWS World News Tonight, BBC Website, National Public Radio All Things Considered and the New York Times.
For the position of Lead Engineer, Build Change is seeking an exceptionally talented structural engineer with a minimum of four years professional experience as a design engineer at a consulting structural engineering firm in a country with well-established building code adoption and enforcement and engineering professional practice (North America, Europe, etc.). Additional experience designing and building earthquake-resistant low-rise buildings in developing countries is a major plus. The successful applicant will have a proven management track record, history of building relationships with partners and clients, and demonstrated ability to communicate technical terms and concepts to non-technical persons. This position reports to the Build Change Indonesia Program Manager and to the Build Change Director of Engineering.
- Develop thorough, comprehensive understanding of the structural engineering design resources developed by Build Change for confined masonry, reinforced masonry, multi-story reinforced concrete frame, timber frame, and retrofitting solutions
- Be willing and confident to apply engineering judgment in the absence of code-based guidance
- Responsible for controlling the quality of design information & implementation for projects in Indonesia and other locations as determined by the Director of Engineering
- Oversee the revision or development of new structural and architectural calculations and drawings, bills of quantity, construction checklists, and training materials as necessary for partners and clients
- Ensure technologies and solutions are consistent with Build Change’s philosophy of earthquake-resistance, sustainability, and cultural appropriateness
- Mentor and oversee local engineers, architects, drafters, and other staff
- Solve problems and generate solutions in the field for special cases, especially for retrofits and additions to existing buildings
- Prepare monthly, project, and final reports
- Bachelor of Science degree in an engineering discipline from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 4 years professional experience in structural engineering with demonstrated experience managing a team of engineering staff and delivering outcomes on time
- Understanding of earthquake-resistant design and construction of confined masonry, reinforced masonry, RC frame, and timber buildings
- Professional or Structural Engineering license (or equivalent) in civil (structural) engineering
- Work experience in an elite management setting or some kind of successful entrepreneurial experience such as starting a field program in a developing country, leading a large event, or starting a business
- Project management skillset that includes ownership over milestones, work plans, reporting, and using computer tools such as Excel and PowerPoint
- Familiar with international building codes and guidelines, including the IBC or other ASCE 7-based (or similar) code
- AutoCAD and structural design software proficiency
- Ability to develop structural engineering calculation spreadsheets in Excel
- Cost estimating software literacy desirable
- GIS knowledge a plus
- Basic understanding of Salesforce beneficial but not required
- Top-performing educational background in structural engineering, with strong earthquake-resistant analysis and design orientation
- Hands-on construction experience in masonry, reinforced concrete, and/or carpentry is desirable
- International development experience and willingness to live and work in a post-disaster setting; experience in Indonesia is a plus
- No ego, drama, or pessimism; the successful candidate will be flexible, humble, patient, and have a good sense of humor
- Fluent English
- Bahasa Indonesia, Haitian Creole, French, and/or Spanish are strong pluses
- Valid passport and willingness to work in heavily damaged parts of the developing world
Go to http://www.buildchange.org/jobs.html and click on "Lead Engineer--Indonesia." Applications will be accepted through December 23rd, 2013. Qualified women, Indonesian citizens, and candidates with Bahasa Indonesia language skills are strongly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No calls please.
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications