WORK FOR AN AWARD-WINNING NON-PROFIT SOCIAL ENTERPRISE
Job Title: Builder Trainer
Industry: Non-profit/International Development
Employer: Build Change
Location: Candidates are expected to be flexible to relocate in different VDCs of Kavre, Sindupalchowk, Makwanpur, Sindhuli and Gorkha
Founded in 2004, Build Change is a non‐profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes. Build Change designs disaster-resistant houses and schools, trains homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them, works with governments to develop and implement building standards, partners with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs, and facilitates access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs. Build Change started its work in Aceh, Indonesia after the 2004 earthquake and tsunami and has since expanded to include programs in China, Haiti, Colombia, Guatemala, Nepal, and the Philippines. Build Change has trained more than 23,000 people on earthquake-resistant design and construction techniques, created more than 11,000 jobs and provided technical assistance for more than 47,000 safer buildings, impacting an estimated 236,875 people.
Build Change is currently looking to build capacity in preparation for upcoming training activities during reconstruction following the 2015 earthquakes in Nepal. For this purpose, Build Change is seeking a competent construction professional with hands on experience in the Nepalese construction industry. In addition, the successful applicants will have proven leadership and teamwork abilities and a demonstrated ability to communicate technical terms and concepts to non-technical persons.
- Train, review, monitor and assess learners on earthquake resistant construction practices
- Supervision of building construction either new or retrofits
- Support the development of earthquake resistant building curriculum including presentations and other teaching material
- Conduct hands-on construction skills training modules
- Travel to remote areas of Nepal and conduct builder trainings and assessments.
- Undertake other assignments or tasks as requested by your supervisor or required for contributing to the success of the team.
- Strong working knowledge of construction materials and practices in Nepal
- Understanding of earthquake-resistant design and construction of stone masonry, confined masonry, reinforced masonry, and timber buildings for both new and retrofit buildings
- Prior construction training experience is desired
- Demonstrable experience of 5 or more years in at least one of the following skill sets:
- Rebar bending and fixing
- Concrete mixing and pouring
- Experience working successfully in a team environment
- Strong leadership skills
- Training for Trainers Certificate is highly desired
- Vocational training in a related field a plus
- No ego, drama, or pessimism; the successful candidate will be flexible, humble, patient, and have a good sense of humor
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed daily and suitable candidates may be invited for test and interview prior to the closing date. Only short-listed candidates will be invited for written test and/or interview