|Title:||Quality Control Manager|
WORK FOR AN AWARD-WINNING SOCIAL ENTERPRISE
POSITION: QUALITY CONTROL (QC) MANAGER
Industry: Non-profit/International Development
[Candidates are expected to be flexible to relocate in various earthquake effected areas]
Founded in 2004, Build Change is a non‐profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes. Build Change designs disaster-resistant houses and schools, trains homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them, works with governments to develop and implement building standards, partners with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs, and facilitates access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs. Build Change started its work in Aceh, Indonesia after the 2004 earthquake and tsunami and has since expanded to include programs in China, Haiti, Colombia, Guatemala, Nepal, and the Philippines. Build Change has trained more than 27,850 people on earthquake-resistant design and construction techniques, guided 42 organizations in using homeowner-driven design, created over 12,300 jobs and provided technical assistance for almost 51.300 safer buildings, impacting an estimated 257,621 people.
For the position of QC Manager, Build Change is seeking a talented structural engineer with a minimum of three years professional experience as a design engineer at a consulting engineering firm. Additional experience managing low-rise building construction is a major plus. The successful applicant will have a proven management track record and demonstrated ability to communicate technical terms and concepts to non-technical persons. This position reports to and receives technical direction from Lead Structural Engineer at Build Change Nepal.
- Support in controlling the quality of design information, construction, and implementation for projects in Nepal.
- Support in revision or development of new structural and architectural calculations and drawings, bills of quantity, construction checklists, and training materials as necessary for projects in Nepal.
- Support in cloud based data and monitoring solution development
- Support in the development and implementation of training for local engineers, architects, drafters, and other technical staff.
- Solve problems and generate solutions in the field for special cases, especially for new construction processes.
- Implement technologies and solutions that are consistent with Build Change’s philosophy of earthquake-resistance, sustainability, and cultural appropriateness.
- Prepare monthly reports and contribute to internal project reporting.
- Liaison with engineers and other construction staff, develop a comprehensive quality control inspection checklist and guidelines that will be followed by construction workers and their supervisors.
- Undertake regular and sporadic site visits to inspect and enforce the use of such quality inspection checklist and guidelines by the site supervisors.
- Issue written instructions to site supervisors on remedial actions required to improve the quality of construction.
- Master’s degree in Structural Engineering or related construction/engineering discipline.
- Strong working knowledge of the construction industry in Nepal.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a building supervisory, management and inspection level.
- Good communication skills with the ability to issue clear instructions/guidelines.
- A good understanding of earthquake-resistant design and construction of stone masonry, confined masonry, reinforced masonry, and timber buildings for both new and retrofit buildings
- Fluent in English and Nepali.
- Flexible, humble, patient, with a good sense of humor.
- Ability to develop quality inspection and guideline checklist.
- Ability to complete tasks on a deadline.