|Title:||Civil Engineer - Program Information Trainee|
Job Title: Civil Engineer - Program Information Trainee
Industry: Non-profit/International Development
Job Location: Based in Kathmandu, with frequent travel to rural areas of Nepal
Start Date: Immediately
Founded in 2004, Build Change is a non‐profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes. Build Change designs disaster-resistant houses and schools, trains homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them, works with governments to develop and implement building standards, partners with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs, and facilitates access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs. Build Change started its work in Aceh, Indonesia after the 2004 earthquake and tsunami and has since expanded to include programs in China, Haiti, Colombia, Guatemala, Nepal, and the Philippines. Build Change has trained more than 39,380 people on earthquake-resistant design and construction techniques, created more than 16,768 jobs and provided technical assistance for more than 58,328 safer buildings, impacting an estimated 304,440 people.
The Civil Engineer- Program Information Trainee will be responsible for Build Change Nepal’s entire mobile data collection, management, mapping, and reporting system across a number of different projects. The position requires a high degree of flexibility, comfort with uncertainty, strong interpersonal skills for working with a variety of different internal and external partners, and close attention to detail. This person will have a demonstrated interest in development projects, programming, and data management, process improvement, and visual communication. This position requires to act as liaison between the engineering team and information team. The Civil Engineer- Program Information will support Build Change Nepal’s various projects from both the office and the field, and will report to the Program Manager, Program Information Officer and Project Managers.
- Proactively develop and test civil engineering tools for data collection, and management of engineering projects.
- Oversee all field survey deployment, design and modify surveys, troubleshoot deployment issues as needed and manage 200+ users within the data collection system
- Interface with civil engineers, project managers and program information officer to ensure proper implementation and maintenance of data gathering and usability
- Interface with the Engineering team, GIS team, and IT Manager to build efficient systems to design effective system of data collection and management
- Ability to convert real things into systems using programming skills
- Design reports, maps, and dashboards for summarizing project data, progress, and accomplishments, and drive implementation of these tools and publish it internally and for external partners.
- Conduct data processing and analysis of collected project information using Python and SQL
- Assist with development of application tools to expedite the reconstruction design process, by introducing automation where possible.
- Work with different types of databases and scripts to create and manipulate all kind of data.
- Serve as the Build Change Nepal representative for all matters related to project data with partner organizations and government ministries.
- Serve as the point of contact for relevant third-party software providers, manage relevant Build Change subscriptions, and provide feedback and suggestions as needed.
- Develop construction monitoring checklists and training materials.
- Develop technical manuals, guidelines and other technical documents.
- Support in conducting research and development work including laboratory testing
- Establish and maintain one to one relation among 50+ field staff, listen to the associated problems and provide instant solution
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Engineering or related field (Result waiting can also apply)
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills required
- Prior experience with PostgreSQL, MongoDB, and common data science packages (Pandas, NumPy, Scikit, SciPy, Matplotlib etc.) preferred
- Ability to think visually and apply ideas to graphical representations, including maps and dashboards using visualization tools, and GIS
- Demonstration of leadership ability in a team environment and ambiguous circumstances
- Flexibility to adapt to changing requirements and deadlines from multiple stakeholders
- Experience working closely with partner organizations
- Superior organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Fluent English and Nepali
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed daily and suitable candidates may be invited for test and interview prior to the closing date. Only short-listed candidates will be invited for test and interview.