Project Engineer - Indonesia
|Title:||Project Engineer - Indonesia|
WORK FOR AN AWARD-WINNING NON-PROFIT SOCIAL ENTERPRISE
POSITIONOPENING: Project Engineer
Industry: Non-profit/International Development
Function: Technical, Management
Location: Padang, West Sumatra
Start Date: May 2016
Term: 6 months
Salary: Competitive, with medical insurance, BPJS, food allowance, housing allowance, transportation allowance, laundry allowance, and phone allowance
Organization DescriptionFounded in 2004, Build Change is a non‐profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes. Build Change designs disaster-resistant houses and schools, trains homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them, works with governments to develop and implement building standards, partners with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs, and facilitates access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs. Build Change started its work in Aceh, Indonesia after the 2004 earthquake and tsunami and has since expanded to include programs in China, Haiti, Colombia, Guatemala, Nepal, and the Philippines. Build Change has trained more than 25,300 people on earthquake-resistant design and construction techniques, guided 31 organizations in using homeowner-driven design, created almost 12,000 jobs and provided technical assistance for more than 48,700 safer buildings, impacting an estimated 245,026 people.
Responsibilities:For the position of Project Engineer, Build Change is seeking an exceptionally competent structural engineer with experience designing and building earthquake-resistant low-rise buildings, such as houses and schools in Indonesia. Experience in structural engineering in other countries with well-established code adoption and enforcement is a strong plus. In addition, the successful applicant will have a proven management track record, excellent teamwork skills, a history of building relationships with partners and clients, and demonstrated ability to communicate technical terms and concepts to non-technical persons.
This position reports to the Program Manager for Indonesia, and receives technical direction from the Director of Engineering.
- Develop thorough, comprehensive understanding of the structural engineering design resources developed by Build Change for use in Indonesia for confined masonry, timber buildings, and retrofitting solutions.
- Take the technical lead in school seismic retrofit initiatives, including leading the project development and design process and the team in conducting the subsequent construction supervision.
- Assist in controlling the quality of design information & implementation for projects in Indonesia.
- Assist in the revision or development of new structural engineering technical resources, including but not limited to structural and architectural drawings, bills of quantity, construction checklists, and training materials for partners and clients.
- Implement technologies and solutions that are consistent with Build Change’s philosophy of earthquake-resistance, sustainability, and cultural appropriateness.
- Assist in the development and implementation of training for engineers, architects, drafters, and other technical staff.
- Solve problems and generate solutions in the field for special cases, especially retrofits and additions to existing buildings.
- Assist in the development of technical resources and implementation of projects in other Build Change country programs as directed by the Director of Engineering.
Project Management Responsibilities
- On a project-by-project basis, implement the project work plan as developed with the Program Manager and/or Director of Engineering.
- Maintain ownership of project milestones and consistent communication with the Program Manager regarding schedule or deliverable challenges.
- Work with project technical staff to ensure their proper and effective implementation of the project work plan. Work with Program Manager to resolve any staffing issues if they arise.
- As needed, represent Build Change in meetings and communications with project partners as coordinated with the Program Manager and Director of Engineering.
- Prepare monthly reports and contribute to internal and external project reporting.
- Minimum 6 years professional experience in structural engineering and seismic design and supervision of building construction in Indonesia.
- Experience in school building design and construction is a strong plus.
- Experience in structural engineering design and construction administration in other countries with well-established code adoption and enforcement is a strong plus.
- Demonstrated experience working successfully in a team environment, as well as managing a team of technical staff, and delivering outcomes on time.
- Understanding of earthquake-resistant design and construction of confined masonry, reinforced concrete, and timber buildings for both new and retrofit buildings.
- Building Engineering license (or equivalent) in civil (structural) engineering.
- Familiar with international building codes and guidelines, especially those applicable to the Indonesian context.
- Cost estimating, structural design software, and 2d AutoCAD literacy.
- Top-performing educational background in structural engineering, with strong earthquake-resistant design orientation.
- Effective, timely and clear professional communication skills, including formal and informal oral communication, written communication and visual aids.
- Experience in teaching or instruction is a plus.
- Hands-on construction experience in masonry, reinforced concrete, and carpentry is helpful.
- Work experience in an elite management setting, or some kind of successful entrepreneurial experience such as starting a field program in a developing country, leading a large event, or starting a business.
- Project management skillset that includes ownership over milestones, work plans, reporting, using computer tools such as Excel and PowerPoint.
- No ego, drama, or pessimism; the successful candidate will be flexible, humble, patient, and have a good sense of humor.
- Fluent English and Bahasa Indonesia.