Project Engineer - Haiti
|Title:||Project Engineer - Haiti|
WORK FOR AN AWARD-WINNING NON-PROFIT SOCIAL ENTERPRISE
|POSITION OPENING:||Project Engineer|
|Location:||Port-au-Prince, Haiti with regular travel throughout the country|
|Salary:||Competitive, with health, emergency evacuation insurance, housing and food allowance|
ORGANIZATION DESCRIPTIONFounded in 2004, Build Change is a non‐profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes. Build Change designs disaster-resistant houses and schools, trains homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them, works with governments to develop and implement building standards, partners with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs, and facilitates access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs. Build Change started its work in Aceh, Indonesia after the 2004 earthquake and tsunami and has since expanded to include programs in China, Haiti, Colombia, Guatemala, Nepal, and the Philippines. Build Change has trained more than 25,300 people on earthquake-resistant design and construction techniques, guided 31 organizations in using homeowner-driven design, created almost 12,000 jobs and provided technical assistance for more than 48,700 safer buildings, impacting an estimated 245,026 people.
POSITION DESCRIPTIONFor the position of Project Engineer, Build Change is seeking an exceptionally competent structural engineer with experience designing and supervising the construction and retrofit of earthquake-resistant low-rise buildings in locations with well-established and enforced building code regulations. Experience in seismic engineering design and construction supervision in the development context is desirable. In addition, the successful applicant will have proven leadership and teamwork abilities, demonstrated experience in project coordination, and demonstrated ability to communicate technical terms and concepts to non-technical persons. This position reports to the Haiti Director of Programs and Partnerships and receives technical direction from the Haiti Lead Structural Engineer, or in their absence, the global Director of Engineering.
- Develop thorough, comprehensive understanding of the structural engineering design resources developed by Build Change for use in Haiti for confined masonry, timber, reinforced concrete, reinforced masonry and retrofitting solutions.
- Take the technical lead in school seismic safety screening and retrofit initiatives.
- Support the engineering team in development and execution of Build Change Haiti’s technical consulting work, including technical assistance to housing and school projects, design reviews, building evaluations, resource development, engineer training and course development.
- Assist in controlling the quality of design information & implementation for projects in Haiti.
- Assist in the revision or development of new structural engineering technical resources, including but not limited to structural and architectural drawings, bills of quantity, construction checklists, and training materials for partners and clients.
- Implement technologies and solutions that are consistent with Build Change’s philosophy of earthquake-resistance, sustainability, and cultural appropriateness.
- Assist in the development and implementation of training for engineers, architects, drafters, and other technical staff.
- Solve problems and generate solutions in the field for special cases, especially retrofits and additions to existing buildings.
- Representing Build Change in discussions with relevant stakeholders, such as government officials, relief agency partners, homeowners Assist in the development technical resources and implementation of projects in other Build Change country programs as directed by the Director of Engineering.
Project Management Responsibilities:
- On a project-by-project basis, implement the project work plan as developed with supervisors.
- Maintain ownership of project milestones and consistent communication with supervisors regarding schedule or deliverable challenges.
- Work with project technical staff to ensure their proper and effective implementation of the project work plan. Work with supervisors to resolve any staffing issues if they arise.
- As needed, represent Build Change in meetings and communications with project partners as coordinated with the supervisors.
- Prepare monthly reports and contribute to internal and external project reporting
- Minimum 4 years professional experience in structural engineering in a country with well-established building code adoption and enforcement.
- Experience in existing building seismic evaluation and retrofit. Additional experience in designing and supervising construction of earthquake- and hurricane- resistant buildings in a developing country is a very strong plus.
- Experience in school building design and construction is a strong plus.
- Demonstrated experience working successfully in a team environment, as well as managing a team of technical staff, and delivering outcomes on time.
- Understanding of earthquake-resistant design and construction of confined masonry, reinforced concrete, and timber buildings for both new and retrofit buildings.
- Professional Engineering license (or equivalent) in civil (structural) engineering.
- Familiar with international building codes and guidelines, especially those applicable to the Haitian context (CNBH, IBC, ASCE 7, ASCE 41, Eurocode, etc.).
- Cost estimating, structural design software, and 2d AutoCAD literacy.
- Top-performing educational background in structural engineering, with strong earthquake-resistant design orientation.
- Effective, timely and clear professional communication skills, including formal and informal oral communication, written communication and visual aids.
- Experience in teaching or instruction is a plus.
- Hands-on construction experience in masonry, reinforced concrete, and carpentry is helpful.
- Work experience in an elite management setting, or some kind of successful entrepreneurial experience such as starting a field program in a developing country, leading a large event, or starting a business.
- Project management skillset that includes ownership over milestones, work plans, reporting, using computer tools such as Excel and PowerPoint.
- International development experience and willingness to live and work in a post-disaster setting for at least twelve months; experience in Haiti is a strong plus.
- No ego, drama, or pessimism; the successful candidate will be flexible, humble, patient, and have a good sense of humor.
- Fluent English and working proficiency in French or Creole.
To ApplyGo to http://www.buildchange.org/about/careers and click on the link for this position. Women and citizens of Haiti are encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No calls please.
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications