|Title:||Design Engineer - Indonesia|
WORK FOR AN AWARD-WINNING NON-PROFIT SOCIAL ENTERPRISE
POSITION OPENING: Design Engineer
Industry: Non-profit / International Development
Start Date: Immediate
Term: 6 months (with the possibility of extension)
Salary: Competitive, with medical insurance, BPJS, food allowance, housing allowance, transportation allowance, and communication allowance
Founded in 2004, Build Change is a non‐profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes. Build Change designs disaster-resistant houses and schools, trains homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them, works with governments to develop and implement building standards, partners with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs, and facilitates access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs. Build Change started its work in Aceh, Indonesia after the 2004 earthquake and tsunami and has since expanded to include programs in China, Haiti, Colombia, Guatemala, Nepal, and the Philippines. Build Change has trained more than 27,850 people on earthquake-resistant design and construction techniques, guided 31 organizations in using homeowner-driven design, created over 12,300 jobs and provided technical assistance for more than 51,200 safer buildings, impacting an estimated 257,621 people.
For the position of Design Engineer, Build Change is seeking an exceptionally competent structural engineer with experience designing and building earthquake-resistant low-rise buildings, such as houses and schools in Indonesia. Experience in structural engineering in other countries with well-established code adoption and enforcement is a strong plus. The position will also be responsible to assist on research related to good building materials, especially brick. In addition, the successful applicant will have excellent teamwork skills and demonstrated ability to communicate technical terms and concepts to non-technical persons.
This position reports to the Indonesia Program Manager, and receives technical direction from the Director of Engineering.
- Develop thorough, comprehensive understanding of the structural engineering design resources developed by Build Change for use in Indonesia for confined masonry, timber buildings, and retrofitting solutions.
- Provide technical support to school seismic retrofit initiatives, including the design process and subsequent construction supervision.
- Assist in the revision or development of new structural engineering technical resources, including but not limited to structural and architectural drawings, bills of quantity, construction checklists, and training materials for partners and clients.
- Assist in developing manuals to produce good quality brick based on the desk and field research that applicable in the project area.
- Assist in other relevant technical research to improve the quality of building materials, especially brick.
- Implement technologies and solutions that are consistent with Build Change’s philosophy of earthquake-resistance, sustainability, and cultural appropriateness.
- Assist in the development of technical resources and implementation of projects in other Build Change country programs as directed by the Director of Engineering.
- Prepare regular internal reports as required and contribute to external project reporting.
- Minimum 4 years professional experience in structural engineering and seismic design and supervision of building construction in Indonesia.
- Top-performing educational background in structural engineering, with strong earthquake-resistant design orientation.
- Construction material quality understanding is mandatory. Knowledge of environmental subject is preferred.
- Experience in structural engineering design and construction administration in other countries with well-established code adoption and enforcement is a strong plus.
- Experience in delivering technical training and/or technical coaching is desirable.
- Understanding of earthquake-resistant design and construction of confined masonry, reinforced concrete, and timber buildings for both new and retrofit buildings.
- Building Engineering license (or equivalent) in civil (structural) engineering.
- Familiar with international building codes and guidelines, especially those applicable to the Indonesian context (SNI and other relevant building regulation).
- Cost estimating, structural design software, and AutoCAD proficiency. Proficiency in Revit is a strong plus.
- Effective, timely and clear professional communication skills, including formal and informal oral communication, written communication and visual aids.
- Hands-on construction experience in masonry, reinforced concrete, and carpentry is helpful.
- Fluent English and Bahasa Indonesia.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Passion, idealism, action-oriented, adaptable, integrity, and self-directed.
Go to http://www.buildchange.org/about/careers and click on the link for this position. Women and citizens of Indonesia are encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No calls please.