|Title:||Program Information Officer|
Title: Program Information Officer
Position Open: 1 position
Industry: Non-profit/International Development
Based in: Kathmandu
Start Date: Immediate
Term: 12 months with possibility of extension
Founded in 2004, Build Change is a non‐profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes. Build Change designs disaster-resistant houses and schools, trains homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them, works with governments to develop and implement building standards, partners with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs, and facilitates access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs. Build Change started its work in Aceh, Indonesia after the 2004 earthquake and tsunami and has since expanded to include programs in China, Haiti, Colombia, Guatemala, Nepal, and the Philippines. Build Change has trained more than 39,380 people on earthquake-resistant design and construction techniques, created more than 16,768 jobs and provided technical assistance for more than 58,328 safer buildings, impacting an estimated 304,440 people.
The Program Information Officer will be responsible for Build Change Nepal’s entire mobile data collection, management, mapping, and reporting system across a number of different projects. The position requires a high degree of flexibility, comfort with uncertainty, strong interpersonal skills for working with a variety of different internal and external partners, and close attention to detail. The Program Information Officer will have a demonstrated interest in development projects, data management, process improvement, and visual communication. The Program Information Officer will support Build Change Nepal’s various projects from both the office and the field, and will report to the Reconstruction Program Manager.
- Proactively explore and test data collection and management features of available software and suggest ways to incorporate them to advance program capabilities
- Collaboratively build surveys with management and field staff in ways that reflect project requirements and limitations, and that take full advantage of available methods
- Oversee all field survey deployment and modify surveys and troubleshoot deployment issues as needed
- Manage 200+ users within the data collection and management system
- Interface with civil engineers and project managers to plan and ensure proper implementation and maintenance of data gathering, display, and usability
- Interface with the GIS team, IT Manager to build efficient systems to design effective system of data collection and management
- Ability to use and manage different types of tablets for distant users
- Ability to convert real things into systems using programming skills
- Ability to work completely independent
- Design reports, maps, and dashboards for summarizing project data, progress, and accomplishments, and drive implementation of these tools
- Publish reports, maps, and dashboards in clear formats both internally to Build Change and for external partners
- Conduct data analysis of collected project information and develop lessons learned
- Serve as the Build Change Nepal representative for all matters related to project data with partner organizations and government ministries
- Serve as the point of contact for relevant third-party software providers, manage relevant Build Change subscriptions, and provide feedback and suggestions as needed
- Establish and maintain one to one relation among 30+ field staff, listen to the associated problems and provide instant solutions
- Hire short-term or part-time interns as needed and manage their tasks
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Engineering or related field
- At least 3 years of progressive working experience in related areas
- Excellent problem solving skills required
- Prior experience of PostgreSQL preferred
- Ability to think visually and apply ideas to graphical representations, including maps and dashboards
- Analytical skills required, prior experience of Business Intelligence Tools
- Demonstration of leadership ability in a team environment and ambiguous circumstances
- Flexibility to adapt to changing requirements and deadlines from multiple stakeholders
- Experience working closely with partner organizations
- Superior organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Fluent English and Nepali
- Technical Support Center (TSC): facilitate opening & set-up of 50 TSCs in 2018.
- Surakshit Ghar: reach 50,000 combined offline + online downloads by June 2019.
- Drama & movie: coordinate 1000 movie screenings and/or drama performances June 2019.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed daily and suitable candidates may be invited for test and interview prior to the closing date. Only short-listed candidates will be invited for test and interview.