BLOCK MANUFACTURING PROJECT MGR / SOCIAL ENTREPREN
|Title:||BLOCK MANUFACTURING PROJECT MGR / SOCIAL ENTREPREN|
DescriptionWORK FOR AN AWARD-WINNING NON-PROFIT SOCIAL ENTERPRISE IN HAITI.
POSITION OPENING: BLOCK MANUFACTURING PROJECT MANAGER / SOCIAL ENTREPRENEUR
Industry: Non-profit Social Enterprise/International Development
Function: Project Management
Employer: Build Change
Reports To: Director of Programs
Job Location: Greater Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Start Date: Immediate
Term: 2 year with possibility of extension
Build Change (www.buildchange.org) is a US-based 501(c)3 non-profit social enterprise in operation since 2004. Build Change designs earthquake-resistant houses in developing countries and trains builders, homeowners, engineers and government officials to build them. Build Change’s designs are affordable, culturally appropriate, and use materials and techniques that will continue to be used after our intervention is finished. Build Change works with the public and private sector to leave in place long-term change in construction practice. Build Change operates in Indonesia, China and Haiti. So far, Build Change has trained more than 20,000 people in Bhutan, China, Guatemala, Haiti and Indonesia in earthquake-resistant design and construction techniques, who have in turn built over 20,000 safer homes, impacting more than 80,000 people.
Build Change has been operating in Haiti since July 2010, where our team of Haitian construction professionals has trained over 4,200 homeowners, 2,400 builders and 140 engineers in safe construction techniques. They have since built or retrofitted nearly 1,400 safer homes, enabling more than 6,300 people to live in a safe, secure home. Build Change has also trained more than 60 materials suppliers to improve the quality of concrete blocks to meet minimum standards for construction in seismic zones.
In addition, Build Change partners with the Ministry of Public Works and the NGO community. Build Change participated in the retrofitting working group to review the Ministry’s Retrofitting Guide for Earthquake- and Hurricane-Resistant Low-Rise Buildings, and wrote the technical appendix of this Guide in partnership with Degenkolb Engineers.
Build Change has been awarded grants from Echoing Green, Draper Richards Foundation, Mulago Foundation and Ashoka-Lemelson and was named a 2008 Laureate in the Equality Category for Technology Benefiting Humanity by the San Jose Tech Museum of Innovation Tech Awards. Recently, Build Change’s founder won the 2011 Lemelson-MIT Award for Sustainability and was named a US Social Entrepreneur of the Year by the Schwab Foundation. Build Change’s work has been featured on abcNEWS World News Tonight, BBC Website, National Public Radio All Things Considered, the New York Times, ELLE Magazine and Bloomberg BusinessWeek.
Build Change has been working with small and medium enterprises in the concrete block manufacturing sector in Haiti to improve the quality of the blocks and increase demand for better building materials from the relief agency community and homeowner population at large. Build Change is seeking an entrepreneurial program manager with a social entrepreneurship background to lead the program expansion and implement marketing campaigns with the goals of increased use of higher quality building materials and increased incomes for block manufacturers and their employees.
In addition to a proven track record of delivering similar programs in developing countries, the successful candidate will have a history of building relationships with the NGO community, government, and private sector. The successful candidate should also possess basic construction technical knowledge of the block manufacturing process and have a proven track record of managing a team to deliver program outcomes on schedule and within budget.
- Thoroughly understand and summarize the business model for concrete block manufacturing in Haiti
- Design and implement a demand creation and marketing campaign for better block production and sales
- Oversee the impact monitoring team to track and document increase in production, sales, income, and other metrics
- Oversee the technical team to implement technical assistance and training for block manufacturers
- Lead training for block manufacturers on cash flow management and marketing
- Market Build Change’s technical training and block testing services to other agencies as an income generation activity
- Represent Build Change in discussions with relevant stakeholders, such as block manufacturers, homeowners, government officials, relief agency partners, block purchasers
- Write monthly and project reports
- Minimum 5 years professional experience in similar social entrepreneurship or livelihood projects in development countries
- Experience with or knowledge of technical and business aspects of concrete block production
- Demonstrated experience managing a team to deliver program impacts on time and on budget
- Bachelor’s degree, top-performing educational background preferably from a leading school
- Outstanding, outgoing interpersonal skills, high energy level
- Management and task execution skillset that includes ownership over milestones, workplans, targets, reporting and proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Ability to work independently, willingness to work evenings and weekends in a post-disaster environment
- Knowledge of and passion for Build Change’s mission
- No ego, drama, or pessimism; the successful candidate will be flexible, humble, patient, and have a good sense of humor
- Fluent, flawless English; fluent French and/or Creole very strong pluses.
Please apply online at http://www.buildchange.org/jobs.html Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No calls please.
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications