POSITION: Builder Trainer
Industry: Non-profit/International Development
Location: Based in Nuwakot, Nepal with regular visits to other field based locations
Founded in 2004, Build Change is a non‐profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes. Build Change designs disaster-resistant houses and schools, trains homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them, works with governments to develop and implement building standards, partners with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs, and facilitates access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs. Build Change started its work in Aceh, Indonesia after the 2004 earthquake and tsunami and has since expanded to include programs in China, Haiti, Colombia, Guatemala, Nepal, and the Philippines. Build Change has trained more than 39,380 people on earthquake-resistant design and construction techniques, created more than 16,768 jobs and provided technical assistance for more than 58,328 safer buildings, impacting an estimated 304,440 people.
Build Change is currently looking to build capacity in preparation for upcoming training activities during reconstruction following the 2015 earthquakes in Nepal. For this purpose, Build Change is seeking a competent construction professional with hands on experience in the Nepalese construction industry. In addition, the successful applicants will have proven leadership and teamwork abilities and a demonstrated ability to communicate technical terms and concepts to non-technical persons. The position will work under the direct supervision of the Project Manager.
- Support development of training materials including lectures, presentations, and trainer and trainee course material.
- Train, review, monitor and assess learners on earthquake resistant construction practices
- Support the development of earthquake resistant building curriculum including presentations and other teaching materials
- Conduct hands-on construction skills training modules
- Travel to remote areas of Nepal and conduct builder trainings and assessments.
- Undertake other assignments or tasks as requested by your supervisor or required for contributing to the success of the team.
- Strong working knowledge of construction materials and practices in Nepal
- Understanding of earthquake-resistant design and construction of stone masonry, confined masonry, reinforced masonry, and timber buildings for both new and retrofit buildings
- Prior construction training experience is desired
- Demonstrable experience of 5 or more years in at least one of the following skill sets:
- Rebar bending and fixing
- Concrete mixing and pouring
- Experience working successfully in a team environment
- Strong leadership skills
- Training for Trainers Certificate is highly desired
- Vocational training in a related field a plus
- No ego, drama, or pessimism; the successful candidate will be flexible, humble, patient, and have a good sense of humor