|Title:||Civil Engineer - Technical Resources Development|
POSITION OPENING: Civil Engineer – Technical Resources Development
Industry: Non-profit/International Development
Founded in 2004, Build Change is a non‐profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes. Build Change designs disaster-resistant houses and schools, trains homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them, works with governments to develop and implement building standards, partners with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs, and facilitates access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs. Build Change started its work in Aceh, Indonesia after the 2004 earthquake and tsunami and has since expanded to include programs in China, Haiti, Colombia, Guatemala, Nepal, and the Philippines. Build Change has trained more than 27,850 people on earthquake-resistant design and construction techniques, guided 42 organizations in using homeowner-driven design, created over 12,300 jobs and provided technical assistance for almost 51,300 safer buildings, impacting an estimated 257,621 people.
For the position of Civil Engineer, Build Change is seeking a competent engineer for its projects in Nepal. This position reports to the Lead Structural Engineer.
- Under the leadership of Build Change’s Lead Structural Engineer:
- Develop house designs including structural and architectural drawings, bills of quantities, construction monitoring checklists and training materials;
- Develop new retrofit type designs, including bills of quantities, construction monitoring checklists and training materials;
- Develop technical manuals, guidelines and other technical documents.
- Support in conducting research and development work including laboratory testing
- Assist in trainings for engineers, architects, drafters and other technical staff including development of training materials and presentations. Assist in solving problems and generating solutions in the field for special cases.
- Assist in controlling quality of information and implementation for projects in Nepal.
- Communicate and report to the management about the progress/issues of projects implemented by Build Change.
- Prepare field reports and assist in other reporting as requested.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering with minimum 1 year professional experience in earthquake resistant design and construction of buildings.
- Work experience private sector engineering firms an advantage. Self-employed / entrepreneurial spirit a plus.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD and/or other Autodesk engineering software is a must.
- Knowledge of structural analysis and design software will be an advantage.
- No ego, drama, or pessimism; the successful candidate will be flexible, humble, patient, and have a good sense of humor.
- Fluent English and Nepali.