|Title:||Staff Engineer - Quality Assurance & Control|
POSITION OPENING: Staff Engineer – Quality Assurance & Control
Industry: Non-profit/International Development
Founded in 2004, Build Change is a non‐profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes. Build Change designs disaster-resistant houses and schools, trains homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them, works with governments to develop and implement building standards, partners with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs, and facilitates access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs. Build Change started its work in Aceh, Indonesia after the 2004 earthquake and tsunami and has since expanded to include programs in China, Haiti, Colombia, Guatemala, Nepal, and the Philippines. Build Change has trained more than 27,850 people on earthquake-resistant design and construction techniques, guided 42 organizations in using homeowner-driven design, created over 12,300 jobs and provided technical assistance for almost 51,300 safer buildings, impacting an estimated 257,621 people.
For the position of Staff Engineer, Build Change is seeking a competent engineer for its projects in Nepal. This position reports to the Lead Structural Engineer.
- Conduct field site inspections to:
- Control field owner-driven construction implementation quality (including of house retrofits);
- Control quality of remote monitoring information collected by Build Change and partner organization staffs;
- Write regular quality control reports.
- Hold refresher trainings to Build Change field staff and Partner Organizations’ staff based on the quality control observations.
- Make recommendations for improving remote monitoring forms and overall remote monitoring platform.
- Assist in trainings for engineers, architects, drafters and other technical staff including development of training materials and presentations.
- Assist in solving problems and generating solutions in the field for special cases.
- Assist in controlling quality of information and implementation for projects in Nepal.
- Communicate and report to the management about the progress/issues of projects implemented by Build Change.
- Prepare field reports and assist in other reporting as requested.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering with minimum 3 years professional experience in earthquake resistant design and construction of buildings.
- Work experience private sector engineering firms an advantage. Self-employed / entrepreneurial spirit a plus.
- Work experience based in remote field locations a plus. Work experience with owner-driven or community driven construction a plus.
- Knowledge of AutoCad and/or other Autodesk engineering software is a must.
- Knowledge of structural analysis and design software will be an advantage.
- No ego, drama, or pessimism; the successful candidate will be flexible, humble, patient, and have a good sense of humor.
- Fluent English and Nepali.