|Title:||Nepal Django Web Developer|
Job Title: Django Web Developer
Industry: Non-profit/International Development
Job Location: Based in Kathmandu, with frequent travel to rural areas of Nepal
Start Date: Immediately
Founded in 2004, Build Change is a non‐profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes. Build Change designs disaster-resistant houses and schools, trains homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them, works with governments to develop and implement building standards, partners with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs, and facilitates access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs. Build Change started its work in Aceh, Indonesia after the 2004 earthquake and tsunami and has since expanded to include programs in China, Haiti, Colombia, Guatemala, Nepal, and the Philippines. Build Change has trained more than 39,380 people on earthquake-resistant design and construction techniques, created more than 16,768 jobs and provided technical assistance for more than 58,328 safer buildings, impacting an estimated 304,440 people.
We are looking for a Django Web Developer responsible for managing back-end services and the interchange of data between the server and the users. Your primary focus will be the development of all server-side logic, definition and maintenance of the central database, and ensuring high performance and responsiveness to requests from the front-end. You will also be responsible for integrating the front-end elements built by your co-workers into the application. Therefore, a basic understanding of front-end technologies is necessary as well.
- Writing reusable, testable, and efficient code
- Design and implementation of low-latency, high-availability, and performant applications
- Implementation of security and data protection
- Integration of data storage solutions (may include databases, key-value stores, blob stores, etc.)
- Optimize applications for maximum speed and scalability
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders
- Strong in Python, with knowledge of Django Python web framework
- Familiarity with some ORM (Object Relational Mapper) libraries
- Able to integrate multiple data sources and databases into one system
- Understanding of the threading limitations of Python, and multi-process architecture
- Knowledge of user authentication and authorization between multiple systems, servers, and environments
- Understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- Basic understanding of web markup, including HTML5 and CSS3
- Good understanding of ECMA/ECMAScript
- Good understanding of asynchronous request handling, partial page updates, and AJAX
- Proficient understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around such issues
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git / Mercurial / SVN
- Good understanding of browser rendering behavior and performance
Are you interested?
Then please visit www.buildchange.org/about/careers and select the link for this position. Applications will be accepted until filled. Qualified women and citizens of Build Change’s program countries are strongly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No calls please.