|Title:||Nepal Civil Engineer - Program Information Trainee|
Job Title: CIVIL ENGINEER – PROGRAM INFORMATION TRAINEE
Job Location: Based in Kathmandu, with frequent travel to rural areas of Nepal
Start Date: Immediately
Founded in 2004, Build Change is a non‐profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes. Build Change designs safe buildings, trains homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them, works with governments to develop and implement building standards, partners with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs, and facilitates access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs. Build Change started its work in Aceh, Indonesia, after the 2004 earthquake and tsunami, and since has expanded to include programs in China, Haiti, Colombia, Guatemala, the Philippines and Nepal. Build Change has trained more than 39,380 people on earthquake-resistant design and construction techniques, guided 74 organizations in using homeowner-driven design, created over 16,768 jobs and provided technical assistance for almost 58,328 safer buildings, impacting an estimated 304,440 people.
Build Change was a top three finalist in IBM’s inaugural Call for Code Developer Challenge in 2018, is the recipient of a 2017 Skoll Foundation Award for Social Entrepreneurship, and the 2016 OpenIDEO Urban Resilience Challenge Winner.
The Data and Program Information Team is responsible for analyzing Build Change Nepal’s mobile data collection, mapping and reporting system. Within this team, the Civil Engineer-Program Information Trainee will be responsible for analyzing the data collected by the field teams, improving and updating the systems, conducting trainings users and developing new tools or scripts.
The position requires a high degree of flexibility, ability of managing multiple tasks and working in different projects, initiative for problem solving as well as interest in applying innovative solutions and close attention to detail.
The trainee will have a demonstrated interest in development projects, programming, and data management, process improvement, and visual communication. The Civil Engineer- Program Information Trainee will support Build Change Nepal’s various projects from both the office and the field, and will report to the Program Information Officer and Project Managers.
- Proactively develop and test civil engineering tools for data collection and management of engineering projects.
- Design reports, maps, and dashboards for summarizing project data, progress, and accomplishments, and drive implementation of these tools and publish it internally and for external partners.
- Conduct data processing and analysis of collected project information using Python and SQL
- Interface with civil engineers, project managers and program information officer to ensure proper implementation and maintenance of data gathering and usability.
- Ability to convert real things into systems using programming skills.
- Assist with development of application tools to expedite the reconstruction design process, by introducing automation where possible.
- Work with different types of databases and scripts to create and manipulate all kind of data.
- Develop construction monitoring checklists and training materials.
- Develop technical manuals, guidelines and other technical documents.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or related field (result waiting can also apply)
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills required
- Prior experience with PostgreSQL, MongoDB, and common data science packages (Pandas, NumPy, Scikit, SciPy, Matplotlib etc.) preferred
- Ability to think visually and apply ideas to graphical representations, including maps and dashboards using visualization tools, and GIS
- Demonstration of leadership ability in a team environment
- Flexibility to adapt to changing requirements and deadlines from multiple stakeholders
- Good organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Fluent English and Nepali
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed daily and suitable candidates may be invited for test and interview prior to the closing date. Only short-listed candidates will be invited for test and interview.